Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Irrepressibles

This post was originally going to be titled "PAG."

A Tel Aviv-based production company, PAG, and director Roy Raz have made a startling, strange, engrossing, compelling, and beautiful video cryptically titled "The Lady Is Dead" to accompany the song "In This Shirt" by The Irrepressibles. I laughed, gasped, sighed, held my breath and widened my eyes the first time I saw it.



Since I had never heard of The Irrepressibles before, a quick search led me to their website where I discovered that they themselves are as wondrous and creative as this video. They are a ten-piece contemporary baroque orchestral group fronted by artist and musician Jamie McDermott who perform in front of mirrors and in giant cubes, adorned in costumes that combine Edwardian, Elizabethan and fantasy elements. I think they are my new favorite group. The two promotional videos that follow show them at live gigs... oh, how I wish I could have been there. Sumptuous...



http://www.theirrepressibles.com/index.html

No comments: