Monday, June 29, 2015

BEAUTY: Clothing--Umit Benan

I love when a show's inspiration surprises me and Turkish designer Umit Benan did that by proving that inspiration can come from anywhere. It must be the newly opened Cuba that made Benan think back to the Communist revolution days that closed it to the rest of the world in the first place. Taking Castro and Che Guavara as models, he outfitted his men in versions of green military pieces for his Spring Summer '16 show at Paris Fashion Week. But the addition of cool aquas and awning pinstripes add a kind of sultry, bossa nova flair with the result looking like luxurious clothing--polo shirts for a drive around Havana, loose belted suits to wear to a nightclub to listen to Afro-Cuban jazz, pajamas to wear on the balcony of the hotel at noon for brunch--one would take on a trip to modern-day Cuba...

I'm aware that the collection is not groundbreaking or avant garde but I appreciate it for its costume-ness...and its wearability. Benan loves to design for cultures (previously here), and if I ever go to Cuba, I will absolutely costume myself in this way. This kind of wardrobe is perfect for sipping a Cuba Libre on a beach under the stars of the southern sky.


And Benan came out in cool white for his bow with a Cuban cigar and a Cuba Libre...of course...


http://www.umitbenan.com/

No comments: